Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Open Letter To The Readers of Madonnathon

Dear Readers,

I understand that sometimes my views on certain issues regarding Madonna or her actions or her beliefs might not seem very idolizing to you. This is because I am exposed to a lot, much more than what you see in this blog. While I continue to admire many things Madonna is and does, this past six months, running this blog on a day to day basis, has changed my attitude towards many things and opened my eyes on certain issues. I have grown from having a simple love relationship with this woman into having a love/hate relationship with her. I do not consider this a bad thing, I do not need to agree with her on every issue to continue being a fan and running this blog. I can agree to disagree with her. It is also not my intention of hurting anyone's beliefs or feelings when I sometimes express my views - sometimes with a laugh, sometimes with a more angrier tone, depending on the topic and the situation. I encourage you to speak your mind whenever you wish to do so. However, due to past experiences, I will not allow directly insulting comments - and now I don't mean insulting comments directed at me only, that would be hypocritical - I mean overall. We can all have our opinions and beliefs and express them in a civil manner as nothing good ever comes from shouting each other f**k you's.

What really made me write this open letter is the issue of Kabbalah. As you most likely already know, I don't believe in Kabbalah. To me it's like believing in a fake story. It is not a religion, it is based on a belief system created by only few people and only less than ten years ago (referring to Kabbalah Center which Madonna is part of). Kabbalah is a mystical interpretation of the Old Testament - to me it does not represent faith. What makes me dislike it further is how big of a role money plays in this organization and does so in more ways than one. Money and material gain has no place in true faith, it is the furthest thing from God and what He represents.

When I say that I don't believe in Kabbalah, that it's not a religion and that it is a man-made belief system, I am not in any way saying that all religions aren't man-made - simply because they are all man-made. Religion is not the same as believing in God, the two have a very distinctive difference. Religion is something man has made from the so-called original Word, taken parts out, putting things in, interpreting them in a way that suits their own needs and goals - and all religions have done this. All religions have also done unfortunate things while claiming to be "sacred" and declaring their "one true word". But Kabbalah is not even a religion, it is simply a mystical belief system.

I am not against Madonna (nor anyone else) for being into this belief system - it is her (their) soul, not mine, so she (they) can do whatever with it. What I've come across while reading about Kabbalah and also learning from those around me who have studied it further, is that it has very little to do with holyness. While Kabbalah contains elements that are very approachable and which I can also relate to and believe in: like "for every action there is a reaction" and all the things repeated by Madonna and the likes. But if you really look at them carefully, they do not have much to do with faith nor even Kabbalah; they are life's basic truths, which most people caught early on, some later. Madonna has said that she is intrigued by Kabbalah because that way she can "negotiate the world" and Catholicism did not allow her that because it was all about rules. In my opinion, if one needs to negotiate themselves a world, to suit it to their liking, it's a wrong starting point. True faith has rules that need to be obeyed in order to be saved, it is not something one can negotiate. You either believe in God or you will burn in hell. While we can take action, have an effect and change the world for the better, it is not something that needs to be negotiated. It is something that simply exists.

To me many teachings of Kabbalah are the opposite of true spirituality. Parts of the teachings seem to serve ego more than God and ego is our biggest obstacle in our path to enlightenment - so it is not a fruitful combination. It is not through organizations you need to give considerable money donations that you will obtain an enlightened state. That won't save anyone. Needless to say, I don't believe that through a ribbon around your wrist you will keep away bad things from happening. That is superstition, just like garlic to an imaginery vampire. A myth with no true foundation. But Madonna, just as any of her followers on this matter, can believe this - as it is their right. I only speak for myself, no one other.

I apologize, if I have hurt anyones feelings on this matter previous to this open letter, and I fear I might just have to apologize for all future comments in advance. I am not deliberately attacking the issue, never have. But I am not always capable or even willing to hide my resentment or present things simply as I receive them. Sometimes it is simply impossible to stay silent on matters that I find misleading, simply wrong, unethical or similar - and on those occasions I will add my own comment at the end of the post as I have done to this day. You can either read my comment or disregard it. As long as we can allow each other the freedom to speak up about our beliefs and express our opinions and believe as we want to believe, we are working together on this.
Those of you who are put off by this letter, do not fear - this blog is still dedicated to Madonna related information and content, and Madonnathon will not turn into a preaching blog about faith, religion nor Kabbalah. I wrote this open letter to you, simply to let you know where I stand on the issue(s) and to prevent misunderstandings. I acknowledge your full right to believe in what you want to believe - even if I encourage you to study. We all have our journeys, both in life and in faith, and if we are fortunate we will see the Truth at the end of our search.
I wish nothing but peace and love to each and everyone out there, no matter what you believe in, no matter where you are and no matter if you agree or disagree with me. I'm not out to get anyone. I am simply using my one voice. I hope you do the same whenever you feel the need and/or want to do so.
Thank you for your time.

No comments: