Sunday, May 4, 2008

Gardener Directed Madonna's Documentary

A new film documentary about orphans in Malawi suffering from HIV/AIDS was directed by Madonna's gardener, the pop singer said. The "Material Girl" star said during an appearance at New York's Tribeca Film Festival she hired Nathan Rissman to direct her "I Am Because We Are" documentary after he proved his worth as her gardener.

"Nathan Rissman basically did everything for me," Madonna said. "He was my gardener. He was my carpenter. He rerouted the electricity in my house. He looked after the children. And he started making home movies of my children. And they were amazing."

The 49-year-old singer's documentary follows the tragic lives of several Malawi orphans dealing with crippling diseases. Rissman told he was honored to helm the film, which also follows Madonna's controversial adoption of Malawian David Banda. "I have to pinch myself all the time," Rissman said of his involvement with the film.

No comments: